We are ready to listen, learn, and take action toward racial equity in public media.
Public media grapples with the same issues of implicit bias and whiteness that exist nationwide. The anguish being felt right now in cities around the country compels us to learn, grow, and change to further our mission of public service. This page is a collection of resources to help you meaningfully connect with donors and sponsors right now, but also to engage in deeper work that will allow our industry to serve all audiences into the future.
We Are Listening
What questions do you have? Tell us how your organization has created meaningful inclusivity, de-centered whiteness, and engaged in race equity work.
Our Hour: A Gathering for BIPOC in Public Media
- Our Hour is a monthly town-hall gathering focused on connection and empowerment for public media Professionals of Color.
- Leadership for the Now Generation
- Navigating Power and Privilege in Public Media
- A Time for Change
- Why We Need to Talk About Whiteness in Public Media (And Why It’s So Hard)
- The Paradox of Bias in Marketing and Fundraising
- Building Resilience – The Imperative of Inclusion: Hiring and Retention
- PMDMC Summer Series – The Invisible Thumbprint: How Unconscious Bias and White Culture Affect Public Media
- Building Resilience – Diversity & Inclusion: The Leadership Level
- Building Resilience – The Imperative of Inclusion
- Building Resilience – The Imperative of Inclusion Part 2
- Getting the Message Right in FYE Fundraising (Greater Public members only)
Station Communication Examples
- Email – “We need action. We need change.” (Courtesy of KUOW)
- Email – “KQED Stands in Solidarity” (Courtesy of KQED)
- Email – “Statement from WAMU General Manager JJ Yore” (Courtesy of WAMU)
- Email from CEO Herb Scannell – “Because of you our journalists are reporting on history” (Courtesy of KPCC)
- Email – “Addressing the unrest in the wake of George Floyd” (Courtesy of KPCC)
- Statement – “Our commitment to anti-racism and the first amendment” (Courtesy of Oregon Public Broadcasting)
- Statement – “Our Commitments To You” (Courtesy of New Hampshire Public Radio)
- Statement – “WPR & PBS Wisconsin Statement To The Communities We Serve” (Courtesy of WPR & PBS Wisconsin)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Work in Public Media
- Equity and Inclusion at Greater Public
- Wisconsin Public Television Strategic Priorities Plan FY20 (Courtesy of Wisconsin PBS)
- PBS Wisconsin FY21 Strategic Outline-JuneDraft (Courtesy of Wisconsin PBS)
- DEI Strategic Communication Slides (Courtesy of Rocky Mountain PBS)
- DEI Training, Initial Outline Rough Draft (Courtesy of Rocky Mountain PBS)
- KUOW Racial Equity Journey (Courtesy of KUOW)