Transform your major gift program using this rigorous online training course and cohort focused on donor-centered fundraising.
Powered by Greater Public and Veritus.
It’s time for public media to elevate major giving.
We are seeing the beginnings of historic levels of major giving in this country, and this trend is expected to increase. Unfortunately, most public media major gift programs and practitioners are not equipped to seize the wave of philanthropy that is upon us.
What needs to change:
In order to connect with the passion donors have for public media and the overwhelming untapped potential for revenue, we must:
- Overcome plateaued thinking and develop unshakable confidence about what major giving in public media can be.
- Approach individual giving holistically, strategically moving each donor to fulfill their long-term giving potential.
- Equip ourselves and our organizations to truly embrace donor-centered fundraising.
To achieve this, every public media leader and fundraiser can and should have access to best-in-class major gift training. Thanks to the support of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, and their belief that transforming major gift fundraising is essential to the future of public media, we have developed the Public Media Major Gift Academy powered by Greater Public and Veritus Group.
The Public Media Major Gift Academy.
The Public Media Major Gift Academy is a training cohort for public media leaders and fundraisers who are ready to transform their major giving practices in order to participate in the historic levels of giving that now define American philanthropy.
The program offers the philosophy, systems, structures, strategies, templates, accountability, and clear measurement that are key to building a wildly successful major gift program at your organization.
Our three-month online training cohort starts with step-by-step training modules filled with expert content including white papers, videos, podcasts, exercises, assessments, practice opportunities, and bonus material. This foundation is accompanied by regular live sessions to help participants integrate the training into their practice and ask questions.
Academy participants will:
- Build meaningful relationships with donors.
- Connect donor passions with your organization through compelling offers and asks.
- Build the confidence needed to set, meet, and exceed ambitious revenue goals.
- Understand how to create a truly donor-centered culture.
- Know how to effectively engage your CFO and finance department in major giving success.
- Join a supportive cohort of individuals from around public media who share the same goals and challenges.
In contrast with other major gift training which can leave you with a scattering of transactional tactics, the Public Media Major Gift Academy focuses on the complete philosophy, systems, and structure you need to be donor-centered and grow your revenue beyond what you thought you ever could.
Thanks to a grant from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, we’re able to offer this training for $999 (it’s normally $1,997). Please see below for more information regarding scholarship opportunities.
We are currently accepting applications for the Fall 2020 course which begins on September 7th.
Who is the academy for?
There are two tracks available:
- Major gift officers looking to bring in the type of transformational gifts that are commonplace in other nonprofits like hospitals, universities, and major arts organizations. Fundraisers will learn how to identify the right donors for cultivation, skillfully manage time and portfolios to build relationships with the right number of donors at the right time, connect with donors using the right offers and asks, feel confident addressing donor hesitation and objection.
- Public media executives and fundraising managers looking to pivot their organizations to seize upon the historic revenue potential that major giving holds. Leaders will learn how to successfully, support and manage major gift officers, support a thriving donor pipeline that allows each donor to reach their true giving potential, and feel confident building meaningful relationships with major donors.
Applicants must be employed by CPB CSG grantee public media stations. Rural and minority audience service stations are encouraged to apply.
Who conducts the training?
The Public Media Major Gift Academy is designed by Greater Public and Veritus Group, the leading major-gift consulting agency serving nonprofits in the United States, Canada and Europe.
Veritus grew out of the combined 70+ years of experience of founding partners, Richard Perry and Jeff Schreifels, who have focused for decades on metrics-based, results-driven, donor-centered fundraising originally with direct marketing, and, since 1995, major donor fundraising.
Veritus has fine-tuned its incredibly successful program for public media over the past year by conducting the Transformational Major Giving Pilot Program with Colorado Public Radio, WAMU, WCMU, and WHYY.
The training consists of 8 training modules (topics below) to be completed over 14 weeks, earning 36 CFRE points. A module takes about 3-5 hours to complete and includes media resources like videos, podcasts, webinars, expert articles, and samples, as well as bonus reading and other assignments related to specific learning goals. Assignments are designed to apply what you’re learning to your own work and organization, so that you come out of this experience with a comprehensive plan and clear actions that will lead to your success.
This foundation is accompanied by regular live sessions to help participants integrate the training into their practice and ask questions.
Module 1: How to Think About Major Gifts
Module 2: Being a Major Gift Fundraiser
Module 3: How to Think About and Treat Donors
Module 4: Creating Donor Offers
Module 5: Caseload Principles / Managing the Right Donors / Setting Goals
Module 6: Creating Donor Strategy / Minding the Front and Back-End of Major Gifts
Module 7: Making the Ask and Dealing With Objections
Module 8: Staying in Control Through Ongoing Planning and Analysis
What does the training / time commitment look like for executives and fundraising managers?
The training consists of five training modules (topics below) to be completed over 14 weeks, earning 25 CFRE credits. A module takes about 3-5 hours to complete and includes media resources like videos, podcasts, webinars, expert articles, and samples, as well as bonus reading and other assignments related to specific learning goals. Assignments are designed to apply what you’re learning to your own work and organization, so that you come out of this experience with a comprehensive plan and clear actions that will lead to your success.
Module 1: How to Think About Major Gifts
Module 2: Economics of Major Gifts Fundraising
Module 3: Hiring and Retaining Major Gift Officers
Module 4: Securing the Gift and Keeping the Donor
Module 5: Accountability and Evaluation
When does it start? How long does it last?
|Semester Name||Status||Applications Open||Application Deadline||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall 2019 (pilot)||Sold out|
|Summer 2020||Sold out||4/27/20||8/3/20|
We are currently accepting applications for the Summer 2020 course which begins on April 27. The deadline to apply is April 22.
What does it cost? Are there scholarships?
Thanks to a grant from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, we’re able to offer this training for $999 (it’s normally $1,997).
Support from CPB also allows us to award 50 full scholarships to the program. All applicants will be considered for scholarship, no additional steps are needed. Consideration for scholarships will be based on budget size, with smaller stations receiving preference. Additional consideration will be made for rural audience service stations and minority audience service stations.
Not sure if you can afford the program? Apply! We’ll get you a decision within 7 business days.
Have more questions?
Please see our The Public Media Major Gift Academy – Other FAQs page.