Application Deadline: Wednesday, May 15, 2019
Who We Are:
Minnesota Public Radio (MPR) is one of the nation’s premier public radio stations producing programming for radio, digital and live audiences and operates a 46-station radio network serving nearly all of Minnesota and parts of surrounding states. Reaching 1 million listeners each week, MPR and its three regional services ‘MPR News, Classical MPR and The Current‘ produce programming for radio, digital and live audiences.
American Public Media is the largest station-based public radio organization in the U.S., combining multi-regional station operations, national content creation and distribution in one organization. With a portfolio that includes Live from Here with Chris Thile, BBC World Service, Marketplace and the leading classical music programming in the nation, APM is one of the largest producers of public radio programming in the world. One thousand stations carry American Public Media’s 20-plus national programs. Its multi-regional station operations include 49 public radio stations and 42 translators in the Upper Midwest and California.
In this position, you are responsible for implementing a comprehensive donor stewardship program, coordinating activities between the Philanthropic Development and Communications departments. Working with leaders from both teams, across the organization, and directly with donors, you identify and promote stewardship best practices in support of organizational objectives, specifically by acknowledging, recognizing and stewarding leadership gifts in accordance with donor wishes, and ensuring that each donor has a positive philanthropic experience with MPR|APM with the ultimate goal of elevating the donor experience and increasing donor loyalty throughout the life of the Inspired by Youcampaign and beyond.
Please include a cover letter with your application.
- Implement an evolving, comprehensive donor stewardship program for MPR|APM as an integral part of the $75 million Inspired by You campaign and annual major gift fundraising.
- Ensure an organized and effective stewardship tracking and fulfillment process for a wide variety of philanthropically funded initiatives and audiences, including individual and institutional donors.
- Leverage CRM (Salesforce) to develop continuous improvement of stewardship systems, processes and policies, and to track stewardship activities and key performance indicators across the Philanthropic Development department (Major Giving, Planned Giving, Institutional Giving, and Marketplace).
- In partnership with Philanthropic Giving officers, produce opportunistic and personalized deliverables that surprise and delight major donors by showing the impact of their philanthropy.
- Compile and ensure accuracy and relevance of stewardship materials and donor lists.
- Coordinate all aspects of donor recognition and testimonials for use on-air and in printed/digital materials.
- Implement a process that prompts and assists the SVP of Development and President and CEO’s office in maintaining personal contact with major donors and volunteers in support of campaign goals and ongoing fundraising and stewardship initiatives.
- Assist with the creation of and updates to personal acknowledgment and stewardship letters and templates for signature by executives, board members, key volunteers, and gift officers.
- Coordinate annual endowment reporting process; liaise with content departments to collect impact stories for stewardship purposes.
- Plan and implement follow-up communications for donor events and meetings, specifically focused on the Campaign.
- Maintain inventory of donor premiums available for gift officer use, special donor events, board meetings, and one-time donor recognition.
- Lead donor tours of MPR|APM facilities.
- Serve as an integral copywriting and proofreading resource for Philanthropic Development department.
- Manage vendors related to stewardship activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in philanthropic development, communications, or another related field.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and proofreading capabilities.
- Experience in project and process management.
- Significant experience using customer or constituent databases (Salesforce highly preferred), Word, Excel, PowerPoint and MS Outlook.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of effective fundraising practices.
- Demonstrated success in completing projects on time, on budget, and within scope.
- Demonstrated success in coordinating cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- High level of accuracy and attention to details.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to change.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to prioritize and work under pressure.
- Ability to learn software applications when needed.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Education or experience directly related to non-profit fundraising.
- Experience with graphic design and visual storytelling, including print and digital layout, video vignettes, and slideshow presentations.
- Passion for the mission of MPR|APM.
- Commitment to cultural competency and desire to foster an internal culture of philanthropy.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.