Application Deadline: Monday, Aug 19, 2019
The special topics correspondent provides original, in-depth, and investigative reporting for WXPR surrounding a specific, yet wide-ranging, topic: water. Water in the Wisconsin’s Northwoods and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula serves as the basis of life and health. With countless lakes, rivers, springs, and aquifers, water is also linked with the very identity of the region. As a service to the listeners of WXPR, the special topics correspondent explores those themes and presents informative and intriguing content on air and online. In addition, the position provides some same-day and traditional newsgathering as well as on-air hosting. This is a professional position, and as such is exempt as outlined under FSLA guidelines. This position reports to the Station Manager. This is a one year grant funded position.
- Develop compelling story ideas regarding water in Wisconsin’s Northwoods and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula
- Research, conduct interviews on, and produce relevant reporting on these topics
- Produce stories to air on WXPR and be posted on wxpr.org
- Submit open records requests and compile information from such requests
- Travel regionally as needed to record segments and interviews and conduct research
- Work in conjunction with news director to produce same-day stories for WXPR newscasts
- Report on relevant community events and topics as needed
- Host WXPR news programming as directed
- Other duties of this job include participation in WXPR and community events, WXPR pledge drives, automated voice track production, participation in staff meetings. Other duties as assigned.
- Paid Holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
- Retirement plan
- Health, Life, and Disability Insurance
Pay will be commensurate with experience.
The position will remain open until filled.
WXPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, religion, sex, or age.