Application Deadline: Friday, Apr 05, 2019
Who We Are:
Classical 24 is public radio’s only 24/7 live-hosted classical music service, produced by American Public Media and distributed by Public Radio International. Classical 24 has a deep play list programmed from one of the country’s largest broadcast music libraries.
As the National Host/Producer, you will work with on-air hosts who comprise one of the strongest broadcasting teams in the country, providing round-the-clock classical music and companionship to over 1.9 million listeners weekly. In this role, you will work at the forefront of national classical music programming and hosting, to help people discover the power of classical music. You will have regular weekly airshifts, to be determined, and will serve as the primary fill-in host for other dayparts including ‘Music Through the Night,’ overnight. Do you have strong audio production skills including some knowledge of ProTools and Music Master? We’d love to see your application.
Open until filled
- Perform regular air shifts and other shifts as assigned including overnight fill-in.
- Operate the broadcast board and all studio equipment
- Conduct in-depth research for preparation in commentary, announcing and scripting content.
- Create content that flows seamlessly while meeting hard time posts within each hour of music.
- Trouble-shoot technical and on-air issues relating to air shift
- May be required to make programming changes/decisions in stressful situations in order to maintain the integrity of the national service.
- Participate in the promotion of Minnesota Public Radio and the Classical Services, including possible public appearances and on-air fundraising activities.
- Write intros, scripts and fund-raising copy
- Create and produce special audio programming/broadcasts as assigned
- May create and contribute various digital projects as assigned.
- Prepare for and interview occasional guests
- To uphold the values of the classical division which are excellence, relevance, creativity and passion, companionship and generosity.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
- Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent
- Minimum 1- year on-air broadcasting experience
- Some audio editing required
- Minimum 3 years on-air broadcasting experience
- Minimum 3 years production experience
- Some knowledge of Protools
- A basic comfort level with programming music in Music Master
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Background in classical music broadcasting
- Knowledge and appreciation of classical music and current events
- Excellent ability to engage the listener
- Technical editing and production knowledge and skills (Pro Tools, Dalet etc.)
- Ability to embrace new technology
- Ability to trouble-shoot technical and on-air issues relating to air shift.
- Ability to perform under pressure
- Interest in the arts and arts events
- Strong and imaginative writing skills
- Ability to work as a member of a high functioning team
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Creativity, positive energy and desire to lead ideas to completion.
- Ability to be resourceful and solve problems as they arise
- Friendly and welcoming voice capable of having fun on the air.
- Excellent pronunciation of classical music names and terms.
- Curiosity and enthusiasm about ways to bring new listeners to this art form.
- Ability to work well with others in a goal oriented, team environment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to work overnight hours
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
- Must be able to work a variety of air shifts including weekends, evenings, and overnight fill-in.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.