Application Deadline: Friday, Mar 29, 2019
The Managing Editor of The Public’s Radio is responsible for the editorial content for broadcast and digital platforms on The Public’s Radio, including newscasts, public affairs programs, news features, independently produced features and commentaries, podcasts. S/he is also responsible material broadcast by The Public’s Radio purchased from distributors such as from National Public Radio, The Associated Press, American Public Media, Public Radio International, PRX, and other national program distributor/producers.
The Managing Editor edits and supervises the news staff on a daily basis, including: editors, reporters, hosts, executive producers, producers S/he evaluates each staff member on an annual basis.
The Managing Editor is responsible for the editorial content on thepublicsradio.org, and works with senior leadership on development of the Public’s Radio digital strategy.
The Managing Editor also oversees the internship and training programs for The Public’s Radio. Managing Editor oversees enforcement of the editorial policy of The Public’s Radio and both delegates editing and edits feature stories, podcasts, and long-form projects.
The Managing Editor reports directly to the President and General Manager at the Public’s Radio. S/he is part of a senior leadership team, working with the General Manager on budget planning and management; strategic planning for the Public’s Radio; fundraising, including major donor cultivation, on air fund drives, grant writing; and community engagement.
The Managing Editor is the liaison between the Public’s Radio and its Community Advisory Board. S/he represents the news division as needed at board meetings and other public events.
- At least five years of professional journalism experience and deep knowledge of the ethics and practices of journalism
- At least three years of news management and/or editorial experience
- Experience working on radio and digital platforms in a multimedia news organization
- Deep understanding of the purposes and mission of public broadcasting
- Understanding of and openness to digital platforms as crucial and coequal with broadcast platforms
- Familiarity with trends in emerging media and community engagement as they relate to journalism
- Experience with digital content delivery
- Experience in public media journalism
- Experience with news-related community engagement initiatives
- Experience with news-related live events
- Knowledge of community and issues
- Strong news judgment
- Leadership skills
- Organizational skills
- Problem solving skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Collaboration skills
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume and to firstname.lastname@example.org with Managing Editor in the subject line. Application Deadline, March 28th, 2019. No phone calls please.
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits including life, short-term disability, health, dental and vision, 401k, and three weeks paid vacation. Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Public’s Radio service includes news networks, TPR.org and mobile service. This position is based in our Providence studios. The Public’s Radio is an equal opportunity employer.