Application Deadline: Monday, Dec 31, 2018
The Director is responsible for strategic communication and initiatives that build PBS Member Station engagement and capacity to leverage Children’s Media & Education content, products and services to fulfill their station’s mission to support children, educators and families in the communities they serve. The Director oversees Station Relations functions for Children’s Media & Education including station communications strategy, professional and leadership development, representation of station needs to CME staff, communications of station activities and successes, supervision of CME Station Relations staff, and special projects as assigned.
Essential duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Day to day management of CME Station Relations activities including:
- Direct member station communications strategy for PBS Children’s Media & Education including oversight of the development and management of the CME station communications portal (OnBoard), email, social media and other communications as needed.
- Manage PBS CME’s professional development offerings for station staff including programming for Public Media industry events (PBS Annual Meeting, PBS TechCon, NETA, and PMDMC), and related training projects.
- Manage PBS CME’s system leadership engagement activities with the Children’s Media & Education Station Leadership Committee.
- Provide direction for CME Station Relations Staff as they work with CME Marketing and Communications staff to develop tools and resources for local station engagement and content promotion.
- Provide direction for CME Station Relations Staff as they work with CME Community Engagement staff to develop tools and resources to support station adoption of community engagement projects and services.
- Manage reporting of station activities related to CME content and services to CME internal staff and system to build internal knowledge of station capacity, practices and preferences and to promote the impact of local station engagement in support of CME strategic objectives.
- Represent PBS Children’s Media & Education at national and local conferences as needed.
- Collaborate with colleagues and other departments to ensure the cross-promotion of PBS Children’s Media & Education initiatives.
Requirements for success:
- 10+ years’ experience in member relations, account management or related field;
- Bachelor’s degree in related field;
- Experience working with PBS member stations strongly preferred;
- Knowledge of some mix of children’s media and entertainment and Early Childhood Education preferred; knowledge of the K-12 education environment desirable;
- Demonstrated success working in a team environment;
- Demonstrated success in project and staff management;
- Demonstrated success in customer/client service, communications and/or marketing;
- Demonstrated strategic communications skills, including excellent listening, written and verbal skills;
- Self-starter with ability to manage multiple projects effectively on budget and on deadline in a fast-paced environment;
- Curiosity and critical thinking skills;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with demonstrated success in collaborating with all levels of management, as well as with internal and external teams;
- Ability to work collaboratively and successfully both within the department and with other PBS divisions, PBS member stations, outside organizations, agencies, and vendors;
- Strong project management skills;
- Resourceful, self-directed individual with strong initiative to proactively handle tasks and solid follow-through skills;
- Enthusiastic, flexible team player who has the willingness and aptitude to acquire new skills;
- Organized, detail-oriented, and able to prioritize multiple tasks;
- Ability to research, synthesize and provide information for use in presentations and public speaking events;
- Ability to communicate PBS mission and purpose in a clear and concise manner;
- Ability to identify multiple strategies to tackling problems;
- Proficient in MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel;
- Ability to spend approximately 25-30% of time traveling locally and nationally;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Outlook Customer Management Systems (i.e. SalesForce);
- Interest in education, new media and public broadcasting a plus.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities