Application Deadline: Saturday, Apr 20, 2019
Director of Operations & Technology
Supervisor: General Manager
Employment Status: Full Time
Position Type: Non-exempt
Positions Supervised: Contractors
Want to help facilitate the broadcasts of a unique community radio station? Have a passion for technology and troubleshooting? Care deeply about informing and serving the public? We are looking for someone who not only keeps the trains running on time, but has the know-how to make them run faster and more efficiently.
Responsible for supporting and maintaining all broadcast audio and information technology equipment at a federally licensed, community operated public radio station.
- Assist station staff with computer hardware and software installations and issues.
- Maintain corporate network security requirements including administration of virus protection software (Sophos and Sophos Intercept-X).
- Set up, administer, and maintain network equipment; modems, firewalls, routers, managed switches, access points, etc.
- Perform IT system equipment audits and maintain current documentation.
- Maintain station audio stream.
- Maintain station VoIP phone system.
- File management and drive capacity awareness of station automation system (ENCO).
Broadcast Engineering (RF):
- Install and maintain broadcast electronic equipment.
- Resolve technical issues with studio and transmitter equipment.
- Perform transmission system equipment audits and maintain current documentation.
- Monitor and report station outages
- Perform preventative equipment maintenance at studio facility and transmitter sites.
- Maintain inventory of studio and transmission equipment.
- Test and monitor generator performance at studio facility and transmitter site.
- Complete upkeep and preventative maintenance at transmitter and studio sites.
- Maintain or work with contractors to maintain transmitter site HVAC equipment.
- Maintain quarterly online Public File for WXPR and WXPW.
- Perform and log weekly Emergency Alert System (EAS) tests.
- Maintain and file daily station performance logs.
- Manage outside contractors; Contract Engineers, Service Providers, Technicians, etc.
- Assist Station Management with long-range planning of broadcast and IT equipment replacement and/or overall technological improvements.
- Support remote broadcasts on-site, including setup and tear down.
- Produce weekly promotional announcements for station programming.
- Ensure and create automation playlists.
- Ingest programming and audio files.
Experience & Developed Skills:
- Familiarity with broadcast studio equipment; mixing consoles, audio routers, remote broadcast equipment, audio processing, audio streaming, and automation systems (ENCO) and associated operation of such equipment.
- Experience with satellite receiver systems, studio-to-transmitter link systems, and radio broadcast transmitters.
- Knowledge of electrical distribution systems, including generator and UPS systems.
- Experience configuring desktop computers (PC) and Local Area Networks (LANs).
- Experience configuring network equipment; firewalls, routers, and network switches.
- Ability to read and understand analog and digital meters.
- Ability to develop best practices for emergency situations; establishing connectivity with transmission equipment in instance of signal loss, negotiating power outages, and negotiating power surges.
- Associates or technical degree in Broadcast Engineering, Information Technology, or field relevant to position. Or equivalent experience.
- Ability to respond to emergencies 24/7/365, unless otherwise arranged.
- Ability to self-start, work independently, and have good organizational skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot, problem-solve, think clearly and work calmly in potentially stressful situations.
- Ability to work and communicate well with others; be a good team player.
- Paid Holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
- Retirement plans available
- Health, Life, and Disability Insurance
- To be determined. Based on experience and qualifications.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you!
Submit cover letter and resume to Jessie Dick, General Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
WXPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, religion, sex, or age.