Application Deadline: Sunday, Mar 31, 2019
Michigan Radio is accepting applications for a Director of Corporate Support.
Michigan Radio is a public media service of the University of Michigan that broadcasts NPR news and information programs. The stations serve Ann Arbor, Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Flint and digitally accessed thru michiganradio.org across the country and the world.
The position is responsible for leading the Corporate Support team in generating sponsorships for on-air, online, events, local productions and other outreach activities. The successful candidate will have media sales experience, and be an innovative, self-motivated leader with a track record of success in sales management. The Director of Corporate Support provides leadership for the sales team of five Corporate Support account executives.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or an equivalent amount of education and experience is required
- 3-5 years sales experience preferably in a broadcast media sales, or other corporate fundraising category, dealing with business, corporations and corporate foundations, and advertising agencies
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead, mentor and positively motivate the sales staff in their efforts to reach goals
- Demonstrated knowledge of advertising and marketing practices, and advertising agency functions
- Proven track record of meeting and exceeding revenue goals
- Strong personal skills in sales, creative thinking, and persuasive verbal and written communication.
- Proven track record of successful sales working with key decision makers
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Highly self-motivated and energetic
- Knowledge of and commitment to the goals of public broadcasting
- Knowledge of public radio audience demographics
- Experience with customer relationship management (CRM) software and database management
- High level of proficiency with computers and various business software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and business email platforms
- Understanding of Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations and guidelines regarding on-air messages for public radio
- Experience with social media sales and marketing strategies
- Easily adapts to new software applications and technology
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Lead, manage, and recruit sales staff. Implement effective sales strategies (pricing, inventory, ratings, demographics, and qualitative research) and promotional marketing concepts to generate revenue from current and prospective sources in support of the department’s financial goals.
- Establish sales activity and revenue goals for sales staff. Monitor and manage account reporting of achieved goals. Provide ongoing training, strategic planning, consult and mentoring for sales staff.
- Prepare periodic sales report showing sales volume, potential sales, and areas of proposed client base expansion. Analyze overall department sales statistics to formulate policy and assist in promoting sales. Prepare and submit annual revenue and expense budgets for sales; maintain monthly and quarterly pacing.
- Maintain relationship with national corporate sponsorship rep firm, National Public Media.
- Work with Executive Director and General Manager in budget and staffing decisions
- Oversee and facilitate copy review, editing, and Federal Communications Commission (FCC) guideline training
- Meet with key clients, assisting sales staff with maintaining relationships and negotiating deals. Maintain visibility and network within the business community
- Maintain department CRM ( Act!) Database. Monitor prospect entry and updates to ensure accurate records of all contacts. Evaluate and adopt new software applications as needed
- Oversee and facilitate research and evaluation of funding sources and opportunities. Manage various audience and prospect research subscriptions
- Track and maintain accurate financials, receivables, and collections
- Monitor and evaluate the activities and products of the competition
- Work closely with station operations departments to facilitate accurate and timely trafficking of underwriting and sponsorship schedules for both broadcast and digital platforms
- Collaborate with Michigan Radio’s Programming, Marketing and Development departments on sponsorship initiatives for programming, marketing and station events
- Other duties as assigned
How To Apply: Apply online at http://careers.umich.edu. Enter Job number: 168833 in the Key Word and click Search. Follow application instructions. Resumes without cover letters will not be accepted. No phone calls, faxes, or emails. You can also access this information at: http://michiganradio.org/topic/jobs-michigan-radio
EEO Statement: The University of Michigan is equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.