Application Deadline: Friday, Jun 07, 2019
WPSU Penn State is seeking an experienced Fundraiser – ideally with a public media background – to lead our efforts in securing financial support from businesses and organizations for programming and community activities related to our PBS and NPR stations.
WPSU Penn State serves central Pennsylvania with a mission to spark discovery, enrich learning, and strengthen community through vibrant public media. Licensed to The Pennsylvania State University, WPSU serves 500,000 households across 24 counties with four TV channels and 13 counties with three FM signals. We offer numerous local community events and serve a worldwide online audience through WPSU Digital Studios and live streaming of our FM channels. WPSU plays an integral part in the outreach/land grant mission of the university.
Responsibilities of the Director of Business Support include:
- lead WPSU’s existing and new business revenue strategy, to include fundraising around broadcast programming, local and digital production, community events, and our online presence;
- lead efforts to identify and cultivate a pool of prospects and other key constituencies to secure funding for WPSU;
- set annual fundraising goals, manage invoicing and memoranda of agreement, oversee trade relationships, ensure secure and timely processing of business contributions, and project cash flow throughout the year;
- ensure compliance with FCC rules and regulations regarding business support and recognition in public media;
- effectively steward the financial support of businesses and organizations with the goal of continually renewing and increasing such support;
- work closely and collaboratively with colleagues in Traffic, Marketing, and Finance;
- supervise, train, and mentor other fundraisers and support staff, as assigned;
- and, serve as an ambassador for WPSU and public media in a wide variety of settings, including on-air during fundraising drives.
Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree plus five years of work related experience. Knowledge of database and development systems is a plus. The successful candidate must be a persuasive and strategic communicator with excellent interpersonal and written/spoken communication skills. Other competencies critical to success include:
- proven experience in securing new business support;
- detailed knowledge of media sales and sales management;
- experience working with advertising agencies at the regional and national level;
- leadership, customer service, and budgeting experience;
- ability to work independently and take initiative;
- keen attention to detail and an effective knowledge of Microsoft Office suite products.
A demonstrated passion for the mission of public media is a definite advantage. Operation of a motor vehicle as part of the position’s duties and a valid driver’s license are required. Successful completion of a motor vehicle records check, in addition to standard background checks, is also required. This is a fixed-term appointment funded for one year from date of hire with excellent possibility of re-funding.