Application Deadline: Saturday, Aug 31, 2019
POSITION: Director, Audiences & Brand Strategy
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
REPORTS TO: General Managers, WYEP and WESA
Join the winning Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting team in Pittsburgh, described by the New York Times as “a city that has transformed itself into a vibrant cultural and artistic hub, all while remaining true to its Rust Belt roots”. We operate two local public radio stations, along with a portfolio of digital, social and live event services. Our 91.3 WYEP is one of the top performing non-commercial Triple-A music stations in the country and our 90.5 WESA is Pittsburgh’s NPR affiliate with an award winning, dynamic and ambitious newsroom. With a combined weekly listenership of more than 213,000 people and more than 60,000 social media followers, this is a fantastic opportunity for a Director, Audiences & Brand Strategy to help WYEP and WESA continue to grow.
The Director of Audiences & Brand Strategy will drive listening, engagement and measurable consumer interaction with our products and services by envisioning, developing and executing effective and quantifiable strategies and activities. This position is responsible for creating growth in our overall audience service and our membership ranks, working with our broadcast, streaming and digital platforms to grow participants and listeners and to drive more frequent engagement with them by individual users. This position will work with the events staff to bring more attendees to live events and increase the frequency of attendance by individual attendees. The Director of Audiences and Brand Strategy supervises two direct reports within the department.
- Design, implement, and manage marketing plans for each product and/or service line, delivering quantifiable positive results in end-user engagement, use and frequency of use;
- Achieve audience and marketing objectives within budget;
- Develop and deploy creative assets, with clear objectives and measurement criteria;
- Provide consultative service to business units and senior leaders;
- Develop and report on promotional projects and their effectiveness using pre-agreed metrics, benchmarks and dashboards;
- Optimize and iterate campaigns based on results and achieving corporate objectives;
- Manage external marketing resources, including subcontractors and vendors;
- Other duties as assigned and required;
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategic insights about audiences, then leverage those insights into well-crafted campaigns and promotions that result in measurable improvements in business metrics;
- A forward thinker, capable of bringing creative innovation that drives results.
- Works effectively on both a strategic and a tactical level;
- Proactive and self-motivated; possesses an entrepreneurial mindset with project management discipline and results-oriented approach;
- Effective in a “small business” environment, capable of innovation and success in a non-profit environment with limited financial and staff resources;
- An excellent communicator and ambassador for the organization, with superior written, graphic and verbal communication skills that inform, motivate and prompt action.
- Possesses the ability to work across functions and levels in a collaborative manner;
- Strong analytical skills and familiarity with online testing and optimization with fluency in Excel, KPIs and reporting;
- Ability to be nimble, flexible and work successfully in an entrepreneurial environment;
- Strong project management, organization and communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in teams and across functions and levels;
- Bachelor’s degree;
- 8-10 years of experience in marketing, promotions, communications;
- Experience managing teams;
- Proven track record in implementing successful strategies in driving response and audience growth;
- Digital marketing experience required; experience in broadcasting and/or in public media highly desirable.
- Experience managing cross-channel creative development process from start to finish;
- Proven experience in leveraging audience research and data to develop strategies and tactics;
- Honesty and integrity in all dealings;
- Enthusiasm for the missions of Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting and its stations.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and printers. This position will require travel to various events. Typical office hours are Monday – Friday, 9:00-6:00, however, evenings and weekend work are frequently necessary.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting adheres to all ADA requirements and will make reasonable accommodations in accordance with the law.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation is an independent, locally owned community-supported public media organization. We are home to Pittsburgh’s NPR News station, 90.5 WESA, and 91.3 WYEP, serving Pittsburgh and the surrounding communities of Western Pennsylvania. PCBC serves the more than 2 million residents of Pittsburgh and its surrounding communities by leveraging the power of media to inform, inspire and entertain. We engage audiences and cultivate conversations that strengthen, enrich and improve the communities we serve.
- 90.5 WESA was launched in 2011 (in partnership with Pittsburgh’s philanthropic community) with an NPR news format. Its stated mission is “to work for the public to inform people in ways that engage and inspire them to create dialogue about community issues and stories.”
- 91.3 WYEP was founded in 1974 as an all-volunteer community licensed radio station. It broadcasts a diverse offering of adult alternative music, provides community education programs, and presents a large number of highly visible events and concerts in the region. Its mission is to “enrich the community through musical discovery, expression and education.”
In addition to radio programming, both stations play an active role in engaging the community through online and mobile services and in-person events, and have a prominent voice in Pittsburgh’s civic and cultural affairs.
Each week more than 250,000 Southwestern Pennsylvanians listen to our broadcasts and tens of thousands more engage with our content through our websites and mobile digital services.
Benefits and More
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package that includes health and life insurance benefits, a 403(b) retirement plan with generous Company matching contributions, paid vacation and holidays, maternity and new parent leave, and a workplace culture that is fun, diverse and innovative.
This position is available immediately, and the search for candidates may be terminated without notice. No phone calls, please.
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter and a detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please let us know how you heard about the position.
Interested individuals who would like to have an introductory conversation at the Public Media Development and Marketing Conference (July 9-11 in Dallas) should email email@example.com for an appointment.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
For additional information about this position, please contact: