Application Deadline: Friday, May 24, 2019
Who We Are:
American Public Media (APM) is the largest station-based public radio organization in the U.S., combining multi-regional station operations, national content creation and distribution in one organization. With a portfolio that includes Live from Here with Chris Thile, BBC World Service, Marketplace and the leading classical music programming in the nation, APM is one of the largest producers of public radio programming in the world. One thousand stations carry American Public Media’s 20-plus national programs. Its multi-regional station operations include 49 public radio stations and 42 translators in the Upper Midwest and California.
The APM Research Lab is home to a team of researchers and analysts who inform and equip the communities we serve with both original and curated research. This work helps inform journalists, civic and business leaders, and others who want to know what the best data and the best research has to say about challenges and opportunities facing families, communities, and organizations throughout the nation.
Application deadline: May 24, 2019
The Data Journalist / Digital Specialist is a newly imagined role within the relatively new APM Research Lab (founded in May 2017). In your role you will contribute to APM Research Lab’s growing reputation as a nationally valued source of credible, nonpartisan research and analysis, useful to informing a wide variety of news outlets, both within and outside of American Public Media, as well as the broader public. We tackle numerous topics including health, education, the workforce, demographics, equity, and political analysis – and are building our portfolio every day (www.apmresearchlab.org). This is an exciting opportunity to help our team unpack important research and tell stories worthy of reading, with a focus on exploring the best modes of visual communication to attract eyeballs and create impact.
The primary role of this position will be to enliven, deepen, and re-imagine the online presentation of our research findings and overall digital communication strategies as we build our national brand. This person will:
- Produce engaging static and interactive displays of the Lab’s research findings for its website and other communication channels using programming, coding, and/or design skills.
- Provide expertise and creative vision to incorporate new digital tools and technologies to advance the mission of the Lab, and bring a commitment to continually add to your skill toolbox.
- Jointly with senior research staff, pursue data-driven research projects including surveys, data or statistical analysis, and/or other original and secondary research in applied social science topics that are newsworthy.
- Author blog posts and web content, and contribute to written briefs and research reports using compelling, concise, and accessible language.
- Support the research and analysis efforts of the Lab’s media partners including Minnesota Public Radio News, Marketplace, Southern California Public Radio, and other public radio stations throughout American Public Media’s distribution network.
- In consultation with our Marketing Manager, prepare the Lab’s e-newsletter and oversee social media account activities to grow our audience and deepen their engagement with the APM Research Lab.
- May also give occasional presentations, participate in events, and contribute to radio pieces, audio or video production, or podcasts.
Required education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in journalism, digital media, the social sciences, or related field.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Passion for our mission “to foster an engaged democracy by inspiring curiosity, inquiry and discussion through fact-driven, credible research and analysis.”
- A reporter’s instinct for finding the stories hiding inside the numbers, paired with superior writing skills, and demonstrated ability to write for a general audience.
- Skills in data analysis, programming, design, infographics, digital displays, data visualization, and/or interactives (please detail).
- Experience acquiring, building, cleaning, managing, and analyzing large data sets.
- A keen and careful eye for detail and documentation, and bulletproofing your findings.
- Training in basic statistical concepts and familiarity with a statistical software such as R, SPSS, etc.
- Academic experience or demonstrated engagement and curiosity with applied social sciences, economics, political science, public policy, demography, sociology, or related disciplines.
- Ability to pursue several projects concurrently.
- The self-discipline to work independently, as well as genuine eagerness to work with others.
- A commitment to being a great colleague and respectful human being.
- A nose for what is newsworthy.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree preferred but not required.
- 2+ years of experience working in data journalism, digital media, and/or applied social science (data analysis, survey, research, etc.).
- A portfolio showing your ability to execute the skills above.
- Familiarity with common federal datasets such as those provided by the U.S. Census Bureau, Bureau of Labor Statistics, or other federal agencies.
- Proficiency with Tableau.
- Ability to scrape webpages.
- Demonstrated experience building news apps and visualizing data.
- Deep familiarity with HTML and Web publishing tools.
- Experience with WordPress, SquareSpace or another Content Management System (CMS).
- Prior use of social media for professional purposes and skills in building audiences.
- Hands-on experience in secondary or primary research, including conducting surveys.
- Experience or openness to participating in occasional forums and events.
- Other skills that may prove helpful to advancing our mission, including radio editing, photo editing, podcasting, or other talents we may not have considered.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.